Wednesday 26 January 2011

Bling Bling

It isn't all about the necessities, I wanted the van to look less like a builders hack and more a surf van. I also wanted more light. headlights on T4's are renowned to be poor. Something to do with VW using the smallest gauge wire they could get away with which in turn limits current flow which in turn limits the brightness of teh headlight. In any case, I wanted more! Remembering an ex Police T4 that a friend used to have, I searched for one of their old grilles that were precut to house the blue lights. I planned to fit some spots in their place but couldn't find any grilles so went about modifying the grille I had.

I also fitted a bonnet bra made by CMC. This was a pretty snug fit, but certainly looked the part. I was now confident no-one would flag me down to get a quote to repave their driveway...


Wanting the option to carry more load if I had to, I sourced some roof bars from a Jeep Wrangler and fitted them. To be honest, despite having large load spreaders I'm in 2 minds about putting anything on them. the roof is quite thin and I don't want a convertible van just yet. For now the bars are all show and no go.

Shortly after I found some Audi RS6 replica allloys for sale on the T4 forum. I like the look of a T4 on RS6's, it's a classic look like a Beetle on Empi's. After they turned out to be 17" rims rather than 18"'s that everyone else wanted, I nabbed them. Having run a car with 18" wheels and knowing how much tyres were for them I wanted something a bit cheaper to run, 17" was perfect in my book.

I also took the van to Vansport in Penzance to have a privacy window fitted in the sliding door. they did a fantastic job.

No comments:

Post a Comment