Sunday 7 August 2011

Bulk-head-lining

All work and no play makes Jack...

I've been working hard lately, just not on the van. Ok, well maybe I haven't been working that hard, but I have been working as many hours as I can get.

But every now and then I get a bit of energy and I get things done. Like the headlining. When I last updated I had covered some hardboard with 6mm foam, and now it was time to recover in the final material.

I had already bought this many moons ago, so no cost was involved as I had some adhesive left over from the carpeting. The material is almost suede to the touch and lends a feel of luxury to an otherwise functional conversion. While I was at it I recovered the nasty front headlining to match.


With the sun visors sprayed satin black to match the black supports it all comes together nicely.

So that was relatively cheap, and the next job was potentially cheaper.

I've been looking out for a mesh bulkhead to fit behind my rear seats for some time. I've looked at genuine VW T4 ones, landrover ones, nearly won a Landcruiser one on eBay too. But no luck, either too expensive or too far away.

Then, as I sat surfing I had an epiphany. Mercedes Vito's are the same basic shape and size as the T4, and they don't attract the "scene tax" as VW's do. A quick search uncovered a mesh bulkhead only 50 miles away. The best bit, £0.99 starting bid with no reserve!

So a late bid was placed, and I got it for 99p!

Ok, a 100 mile round trip costs something but it's still a steal.

In the cold light of day it's about 2 inches too wide. But with swift application of the grinder (my new favourite tool) 4 inches were removed (to make fitting easier) from the middle. I was considering welding it back into 1 piece (with my 2nd favourite tool) but SWMBO made a decree that it should be in 2 halves to make removal easier. This makes sense and now I can still carry long items if I remove 1 side.


To fit the van I bonded some ply (the same used previously for the fan) to the roof in which I had already installed some "wood nuts" (http://thedogvan.blogspot.com/2011/03/boxing-clever.html). As I have laid ply to the floor more of these nuts were fitted there. Adding a small piece of angle to the bottom of each bulkhead, they are now held in play with 3 M8 bolts each.


Rock solid and easily removed, just what I wanted.

I chose a mesh bulkhead as I wanted to hang some MOLLE pouches on it, keeping everything more organised.


I have now removed the dog guard I previously fitted (http://thedogvan.blogspot.com/2011/04/carpet-bagging.html) but might need that behind the drivers seat to stop my dogs from trying to get in my lap whilst driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment