Sunday 7 August 2011

Switch on, switch off

Something else I found on the Mud stuff website was a nice range of Carling switches. I've been trying to find some customizable switches for the various new circuits I'm putting in the van and these fit the bill nicely.

Not only do the types of switches cover all the bases - on/off, on/on/off, mom/off/mom etc, but they take legends in the front illuminated area. All assemble they look factory, so an order was placed (of course) for 1 switch and a 6 way bezel, along with the rear terminal plug and terminals and legends. I only ordered 1 switch for now as I wanted to check fit and finish first.

In the hand these switches really are nice, solid action and well made. This goes for the bezel too.

Originally I planned to replace all of my existing switches with these Carling ones, but as the VW hazard switch and heated screen switch both house the relay too, I've had to keep them original.

I've decided to mount the 6 way bezel above teh heater controls, it fits here perfectly and I've never used the cubby. Having it in line below the stereo helps it look factory, rather than just cobbled together.


How neat is that!

So first up is a switch to isolate the night heater, and also a switch to control the rear fan.


Ever planning for the future, I made up a loom for all 6 switch positions. With my plans for heated front seats I have 2 spares.

And here they are, looking very neat.


Here we have a shot at night, I may change the illumination colour in the future to match VW's.


Keeping the look I will be utilising these switches in other areas in the van.

No comments:

Post a Comment