Friday 19 August 2011

Load shelf redux

I've already covered my first attempt at a load shelf, and perfectly serviceable it was too. However, I knew there was a better use of the space.

After scouring the Land Rover forums and eBay I found an auction for an ex army under bed locker. These are often used by the LR boys to make an extending drawer in the back of their Defenders, so taking inspiration I paid out a massive £12 for one box!

Once it arrived I set about it with a tin of paint, I just needed to freshen up the parts that will be exposed once I have fitted and trimmed with Ally plate. I also cut a hole in the hinged lid to fit a drawer handle. I intend fitting a sheet of aluminium or stainless to the top of the lid so I will fit the handle then. I will also remove the original pulls and fit some chequers plate to the front, once the load shelf is fitted.

In preparation for installing in the van, I remade a new battery box and storage trunk which also serves as a support for one side of the drawer, the other side being supported by a MDF upright. Keeping weight down (as much as I can) I drilled both uprights with a large hole saw in a diamond pattern. This is mostly obscured by the carpet and drawer, but makes a huge difference in weight.


Once all of this was roughed out I placed an order to Megavanmats for some black carpet. I was tempted to try the mega stretch but as I don't need to cover too many awkward contours, I went for the regular stuff. This was just fine and I covered the side panels at last...


With the addition of some full extension heavy duty drawer slides the box was fitted, and it works perfectly.


Now I have storage, but also once I have covered the top with metal a cooking surface that is outside the van. This is important not only for reducing the risk of fires but keeping nasty cooking niffs at bay.


Next up for the load shelf is the actual shelf, to be placed across the boxed arches.

So if I'm cooking under the tailgate it would be nice to see what I've doing, right?

Well already in hand, I've reused the LED roof lights I had in my first headlining mod, and fitted them along with another Carling switch in a remodeled tailgate panel. This is done in the same was as the side panels were, and once covered in carpet I think it looks very cool.


The lights set off nicely against the black carpet.


And the switch looks good too, and sticks out only as much as the MDF so is fairly low profile.


Now I just need to make sense of the spaghetti mess at the rear and fit it to the van...


No comments:

Post a Comment