Wednesday 6 April 2011

It's all so quiet

Yup, not been up to much lately.

getting a few things in line before a massive work-splurge. But I've treated the van to a mini service. Ironically in the week before I changed the oil I developed a small leak from the oil cooler.

Once the filter was off for the change I found a nut had worked it's way loose and was no longer sealing the cooler to the block. A quick turn of a spanner and all is well again.

Mostly.

I've fitted an oil pressure gauge as I'm a bit concerned about my oil light which started to flash when I slow down after a run. Looking at it now I seem to have decent pressure when the oil is cold but it drops off dramatically when hot.

The van has done a lot of miles (215,000 of them) and reading up on high mileage motors it used to be common practice to use "High mileage oil", basically an oil that is thicker at operating temperature so it maintains pressure through worn oilways. I still have decent pressure when the engine revs so I may look at a quick change to a thicker oil and see how that works. At worse case I imagine it could be a new oil pump, and with that being a garage job it's something I don't really want to do first.

No comments:

Post a Comment