Tuesday 8 February 2011

Green wheels

As well as the Rockton, I am taking some inspiration from the Danish army.

Kinda.

When I was researching how to paint my van, I discovered the Danish army used T4's and they were painted green. But they also had green wheels.


Although I love the RS6 alloys, the tyres wear so quickly I decided I was going to go back to my original steel wheels. The only trouble is these were a right mess, the van came with these and wheel covers, which I'm sure haven't been off for years. The result was rusty,brake dust ravaged wheels that just looked nasty.

The solution was powder coating!

I had the tyres removed and took the wheels to a local outfit "GT Finishers". They weren't the cheapest but I believe you get what you pay for and the results speak for themselves. These wheels will last forever. The paint is really thick and the painter put more in where the centre of the wheel is welded to the rim, filling the gap and making it look like a 1 piece wheel. They also applied paint to the inside and rear of the wheel.


When I got them back I was a little taken aback by how bright they were, but the colour was what I'd chosen and once the tyre and centre cap was fitted they look just right. Not too bright but not dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment