Sunday 6 February 2011

New directions

Ok, so there we have the story so far.

I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of work I've done in this retrospective, but these were the major events in the conversion.

Next up, phase 2!

After a few months of not being able to get on and work or even use the van for what I'd bought it for, I started to consider my options. We have an awning and knew Benny would end up sleeping in the van as he gets freaked if he walks on canvas.

So if the dog had the comfy bed in the van and we were on an inflatable in a tent, why did I convert the van in the first place? I guess I got caught up in the scene, seeing other peoples vans and thinking it was what I needed.

It was not.

But then I saw something beautiful.

The T5 Rockton.


At this point I'd love to write about a visit to a dealer and an order being placed, but alas that didn't happen.


What did happen is my realisation that I only need space for the dog and 2 seats in the back.


I have no intention of lowering my van as I really like having the ride height to ignore most speed humps and being able to see over hedges, so a 4x4 theme was just up my street.


So this is my new plan. All I needed was 2 individual seats for the rear and a load guard. I already have a similar fridge so if that fits in between 2 seats I will be very happy.

Nice and simple, the new direction also gives me the chance to redo a few things I'd have done differently if I'd known. Like having smooth lining carpet instead of corded, and hopefully a raised and properly insulated floor. I also want to reroute my Eberspacher ducting. I don't want it quite as ruggedised as the Rockton, a little comfort is fine by me!

And if 1 dog wasn't enough, in the new year we decided we'd like a friend for Benny. A call to RGT Hillview had us making an appointment to view another greyhound called Trudy. In the end though she was more of a handful than Benny, and we ended up adopting a lovely brindle girl called Alice (now called Ally due to my niece being called Alice...).



So now we needed space for 2 needlenoses in the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment