Tuesday 8 February 2011

Panelling a panel van

After making the decision to emulate the Rockton, I promptly put my camper layout up for sale on the T4 forums. As always, my motto is "Buy high, sell low" so my bargain priced items were snaffled very quickly.

Once everything was stripped out I had a good look at what was left in the van. Flat ply panels weren't doing it for me anymore, especially as the sides will be more exposed without cabinets or a bed in the way.

So taking a ply panel and a sheet of MDF, I set about making something a little more special. Cutting fill panels and routing the edges before attaching them to the ply originals, these will eventually be covered in material before being refitted to the van.



The panel opposite the sliding door has been designed to provide space for some net map pockets and may also hold the table bracket, but I'm undecided on that one.

The rear most panels were made to provide mounting areas for my 6x9 speakers, and have been relieved to allow fitting of tail light hole covers and a grill over the slam vents.

I'm quite pleased with them, covering will wait until I am sure I wont modify them further, but for now they add a little something to the back of the van. I have different plans for the upper rear panels, and may try to shape the headlining in a similar way.

No comments:

Post a Comment