Sunday 6 February 2011

Where's Nigella?

Yup well after getting bed and heat sorted, it was time to make up a kitchen pod.

Part of my redundancy also funded buying a stainless steel sink. This was a corner fitting unit with a glass top, the only issue was the dimensions called for a wider unit than is usually used in a T4. The solution? Out came the jigsaw and router and I made up a little extension for the unit.

A little unusual in design but in practice it worked really well. It was nice having a decent sink to use and the corner seemed to make the rear a little more cosy than before.


For the front of the unit I managed to buy an Ikea roller door from fleabay. Again a little different but having it roll up out of the way meant it was always accessible, even with a dog in the way. Inside the door was enough room for my waste water container and our picnic hamper which holds our plates and mugs with room to spare. It also covered up the fusebox (although I still needed to tidy up the wiring).

The worktop was bought locally from someone who had it as an offcut from their home kitchen. One drawback was worktops are heavy. Too heavy to lug around all day long in the van so after cutting out the hole for the sink I rebated much of the remaining material to lighten it. The same went for the cooker cover / splash guard. The resultant bare wood was covered with an aluminium splash guard, which complimented the beech veneer perfectly.

The cooker itself was a 2 burner camping cooker that runs off little butane cartridges that are widely available. I figured this was better for my light use than having a full gas install just for a cooker.

So there we had a means to cook, and it came in very handy when I was doing security work watching an access road. I had heat, a nice place to sit and hot coffee every night. It almost made the thankless task enjoyable.


I think someone else was pleased to have some water too...

No comments:

Post a Comment